Tuesday, May 5, 2015

State Bird of Virginia - oil painting


The "Northern Cardinal"is the State bird of Virginia

This is a photo of my finished painting of the "Virginia State Bird."  I used part of a vintage map of Virginia in the background and painted the "bird" in oil over the map.  I also use one of the actual "state bird" postage stamps in the finished painting.  



Here are a few of my earlier "State Bird" paintings.....



Each "State Bird" canvas is 12 x 5".  I will be offering giclee prints of these.  You can see more of them on my website.

Barbara Rudolph






Here are some in progress photos...








The male Northern Cardinal is perhaps responsible for getting more people to open up a field guide than any other bird. They’re a perfect combination of familiarity, conspicuousness, and style: a shade of red you can’t take your eyes off. Even the brown females sport a sharp crest and warm red accents. Cardinals don’t migrate and they don’t molt into a dull plumage, so they’re still breathtaking in winter’s snowy backyards. In summer, their sweet whistles are one of the first sounds of the morning.  (this info taken from the Cornell Lab of Ornithology)

No comments: