Monday, May 19, 2014

Blue Jay Oil Sketch


"Blue Jay"
oil sketch

I have always thought that "blue jays" were pretty birds.  They are a common large crested songbird with a broad, rounded tail.  They are known for their intelligence and have a tight family bond.  They can have a white or light gray underneath, with various shades of blue, black and white above.

I am going to try and paint about 80 of these "oil sketches" over the next few months.  I have a ton of work to complete by fall, but these small paintings keep things fresh.  I am using "Ampersand Artist Panels" with the "smooth" finish.  I tend to always start with very dark backgrounds first, so to change things up a bit....I am going to just leave the backgrounds white.  I like the contrast against the white backgrounds.

This "blue jay" is the first new one of my small "oil sketches."  Each one will be for sale either through my website or at one of my upcoming shows.  This one measures 5 x 7".

______________________________________________________________________________

Barbara Rudolph


______________________________________________________________________________


Some information about Blue Jays:

  • Behavior

    Blue Jays make a large variety of calls that carry long distances. Most calls produced while the jay is perched within a tree. Usually flies across open areas silently, especially during migration. Stuffs food items in throat pouch to cache elsewhere; when eating, holds a seed or nut in feet and pecks it open.
  • Habitat

    Blue Jays are birds of forest edges. A favorite food is acorns, and they are often found near oaks, in forests, woodlots, towns, cities, parks.

1 comment:

SUSAN NALLY said...

I love this! Colors so pure. Leaving the background white really worked!