Friday, April 18, 2014

What's Happening In the Studio Today?


I just finished up several more of my "State Bird" oil paintings....and also a request for a "cardinal" oil painting.  I actually have painted this image of the cardinal before....in fact it is also available in note cards.  It was a commissioned request, so I decided to paint it once again.  It is in the same size as the "State Bird" oil paintings are.  

I will be posting the next couple of "State Bird" paintings in the next few days.  Today...I am not painting because I pulled my back out.  Not fun...but it does make for more time for posting some of the new images onto my blog.  



Here is a snapshot of a corner of my studio today with several more of the State Bird paintings


Each canvas measures 12 x 5 x 1"  and is painted around the edge of the canvas.  The "State Birds" will be available soon in giclee editions through my website.





This is a photo of the finished cardinal.  They are so beautiful.  I love the way the red really pops on a dark painted background.

I start with a black gesso and then let that dry.  I then paint the background in oil with a mix of burnt umber, French ultramarine blue and a small touch of ivory black.




The male Northern Cardinal is perhaps responsible for getting more people to open up a field guide than any other bird. They’re a perfect combination of familiarity, conspicuousness, and style: a shade of red you can’t take your eyes off. Even the brown females sport a sharp crest and warm red accents. Cardinals don’t migrate and they don’t molt into a dull plumage, so they’re still breathtaking in winter’s snowy backyards. In summer, their sweet whistles are one of the first sounds of the morning.


(The information above is from the Cornell Lab of
Ornithology)   
http://www.allaboutbirds.org/



Barbara Rudolph
website
email





And........this is what's happening right now outside my window:


Lesser Goldfinch


Have a Happy Easter!

No comments: