Wednesday, April 23, 2014

State Bird of California - 'California Quail' by Barbara Rudolph


"The California Quail"

This is the next completed painting from my "State Bird" series of oil paintings.  It is painted on 12x5x1"canvas. This commissioned painting is sold, however I will be offering it in a giclee edition on paper very soon.  You can visit my website in early May to see the latest editions to my "State Bird" paintings.  It is painted in oil over a section of a vintage California state map.  The "California quail" is really a beautiful bird but I have to say....that since I live in Arizona, and we have the "Gambel's quail" here, and I find it hard to tell the difference between them.  

Here is a little information about the "Quail" from the "Cornell Lab of Ornithology:


California Quail

The California Quail is a handsome, round soccer ball of a bird with a rich gray breast, intricately scaled underparts, and a curious, forward-drooping head plume. Its stiffly accented Chi-ca-go call is a common sound of the chaparral and other brushy areas of California and the Northwest. Often seen scratching at the ground in large groups or dashing forward on blurred legs, California Quail are common but unobtrusive. They flush to cover if scared, so approach them gently.


Gambel's Quail

A bird of the Desert Southwest, Gambel's Quail is common in much of the Southwest, particularly southern Arizona and New Mexico. Here they look and act very much like the more widespread California Quail, but the two species' ranges do not overlap. Look for these tubby birds running between cover in suburbs and open desert or posting a lookout on low shrubs.

BarbaraRudolphFineArt.com
Detail shot of the "California Quail" painting with the "State Bird" postage stamp

Barbara Rudolph

Here are some photos I took yesterday of the "Gambel's quail" in my backyard.  The father "quail" has been keeping watch over his 13 babies.  I haven't seen the female quail at all, so I fear something must have happened to her.  He is taking excellent care of his family though.  I really have to do some tricks to get photos of them through my window.   (It's no wonder why my back hurts) 



Uh-Oh....he sees me through the window here.
Look closely...he has gathered all but the two babies on the right side
...under his belly.  It is really amazing to watch.  He plumps up to gather
all of the babies underneath for protection. 


He caught me......He calls his little ones....RUN!  
RUN.......FOREST........RUN!

CLICK ON IMAGE TO SEE LARGER



Thanks for stopping by

1 comment:

Skyline Spirit said...

pretty nice blog, following :)