Saturday, December 1, 2012

"Flies For Sale" - Kingfisher oil painting -realism


"Flies For Sale"

This is a new oil painting of a "kingfisher" selling some "flies."  Since "kingfishers" are the real experts at catching fish, I thought it appropriate to have this "bird" sitting on a branch selling the flies.  This is a fun oil painting for the "fly fisherman" in your life.   It measures 12 x 9".  The original oil painting is custom framed and will be available at the "Celebration of Fine Art" show in Scottsdale, Arizona which opens on January 12th.  (This painting will also be available is limited edition giclees later this month.)  

Here are some of the "in-progress" photographs of "Flies For Sale"
(you can click on the images if you would like to see them larger)


This is the early stage of the painting, after I had painted in the background



In the image above, I finished painting the "kingfisher" and the branch.

The next step was to find and photograph the actual "flies" or "fishing lures" to be used in my oil painting.  A friend of mine, loaned me a box of beautiful "lures" to used as reference in this painting.  Below is a photo of a few of the "flies" that I decided to add into my painting.

"Flies" for the "fly fisherman"
Some of the "fishing lures"  I used in my oil painting.

Here is a quote from Arizona Highways about Fly-Fishing and also the 12 top fishing spots in the state:

"Fly-Fishing" has been called an art, a science, and a Zen-like activity surrounded in mystique.  It is for men and women who actually get their feet wet.  All that really matters is the experience - the art of trying to trick a fish into striking a virtually weightless imitation of an insect.  Fly-Fishing is one of the fastest growing sports in America, and Arizona is the perfect place to get your feet wet.  Here are 12 of the best fishing holes in Arizona:

1.   Lee's Ferry

2.   Lake Powell
3.   Oak Creek
4.   Black River (East & West Forks)
5.   White River (North Fork)
6.   Lake Pleasant
7.   Bartlett Reservoir  
8.   Roosevelt Lake
9.   Apache Lake
10.  Arivaca Lake
11.  Patagonia Lake
12.  Little Colorado River
_______________________________________________

I hope you enjoy this painting.  If you have any questions about this painting or pricing, just drop me an email.  It feels good to be back to posting again.  After several family emergencies I have been 100% consumed with family matters.  I have a show opening in one month and sooooo many paintings to complete.  I hope to get many more of the new paintings finished up and posted very soon....so please stay tuned.

Barbara Rudolph 

show info:

No comments: