Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Children's Books and Toys commissioned oil painting - ( In Progress)


The space above the bed.....where the commissioned children's
paintings will hang 


Early last summer I received a commission to do two oil paintings for a lovely room that was designed for my clients grandchildren.   

The idea was to create two paintings to hang above the twin beds in the guest room.  Each oil painting had to include some popular children's books and several other things like:  a penguin, a sock monkey, an elephant, and must include the names of each of the granddaughter's.   I went over to their home to take photographs of the room and to measure the space above the beds where the paintings will hang.  I also was asked to match the colors of the room.  So....I started with the fabric in the beautiful curtains, which are absolutely perfect for a child's room, bright and colorful.  


The curtain fabric for matching
the colors in my paintings

I then began my search for all of the books and items that I was going to need to do the paintings.  I borrowed some of the books and objects from a few people I knew, and also visited books stores as well as frequent visits to my local library.  I also purchased an old set of the vintage wood letter blocks on ebay.  I thought those old blocks would be perfect to spell out the names of each grandchild in my still life paintings.

I took about 200 photographs of various ideas for my paintings.  I then had to narrow them down to my favorites and ended up with several photographs from which to paint from.  I also set up the still life as close to the photos I took in my studio.  It helps to work from life (seeing the actual still life helped me with seeing the shadows.  

I ran into a few problems here and there because I had to continually renew my library books so I didn't have to take apart my still life.  (I have been working on these paintings for months), so I eventually just returned the books that needed to be returned and I am finishing the paintings now using my photos for reference.

This was such a fun project, time consuming but really fun.  Below are a few images of the paintings in the beginning stages.  I had already primed my canvas, painted the background color, and after that dried, I lightly sketched in my plan for the paintings:



This one is "Lily"
(Beginning the oil painting)



"Molly"
(This is the beginning stage of Molly's painting)
  
I hope you will stop back in again soon to see the next phase of my "Children's Books and Toys" commissioned paintings.  Don't worry.....I promise to paint in a "bird" somewhere too, since that is my specialty.


Barbara Rudolph

No comments: