Friday, August 31, 2012

Maryland - State Bird - "Baltimore Oriole"



As I continue with my "State Bird" series of oil paintings, I just completed the "state bird" of "Maryland" the "Baltimore Oriole".   This is going to be an on going project over the next many months to come.  They are fun little paintings that measure 12"x5" on gallery wrapped canvas.  ( I will also have each one available in prints. )  I have been collecting vintage postage stamps to include in each "state bird" painting that I paint.  I am also including pieces of old vintage maps and a little antique sheet music when I can find it.

The "Baltimore Oriole" male has a brilliant orange plumage with a solid black head.  They are fond of fruit and nectar, and can be easily lured to backyard feeders.  I wish we had them here in Arizona, but we don't.  Thankfully we have a lot of other beautiful birds here to study and paint.

Check back in again to see more of the "state bird" series.  I hope to have a large collection of them finished for the next "Celebration of Fine Art" show which will open in January.  The prints will be available from my website very soon.

website
email
Celebration of Fine Art

Barbara Rudolph

No comments: