Sunday, April 24, 2011

The "Rivals" - In progress oil painting commission

In-Progress Detail of the "Rival birds" on the "Rival Guitars"


Both paintings on my easel in-progress

As I explained in an earlier post, I have been working on a fun commission of two paintings.  One is of a "Les Paul" Gibson guitar neck and the other is of the "Fender Stratocaster."  These are considered "rivals" in the "guitar" world and since I love to paint "birds" I had to include "rival" birds.  The "Gila Woodpecker" and the "Gilded Flicker."  Each canvas is 24" x 10" and is being painted in oil.  There are many challenges to this, since the keys on the "Gibson" for example are gold.  It is taking me many layers to capture the wonderful light reflections on the keys.  I have to allow each under layer to dry first, so it is a bit time consuming.  I am looking forward to getting the next layer of color on the birds.  It will really start to take shape then.   Stop back again soon to have another look.

If you are wondering how I got this commission.  It was at my recent Celebration of Fine Art show in Scottsdale.  I was painting a classic "Rickenbacker" guitar with little hummingbird on top of the neck.  I call it "Little Ricky."  My client happened to be at the show that day and noticed it and had the idea to have two of his favorite guitars painted with two of their "rival" backyard birds.

Here is a picture of "Little Ricky" which is available for purchase.


For more information about this painting or the commissions please contact me.