Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Guitars - Fender and Gibson oil paintings commission with birds


Fender Stratocaster

Les Paul Gibson





















I have been working hard on a recent commisson of "rival guitars" with "rival birds"   My client collects guitars and asked me to paint two of his favorites, the custom"Gibson Les Paul" and the "Fender Stratocaster."   These are considered "rival" guitars in the guitar world, and he thought it would be fun to have me paint "rival birds" on the necks of these two guitars.  He chose the "Gilded Flicker" and the "Gila Woodpecker" because they are always fighting it out at their bird feeders.   

The "Gibson Les Paul" is truly one of the giants.  It was inspired by Lester William Polsfuss (Les Paul) in the 1950's.  It has been used by practically every rock star since its conception.  It is not the oldest electric guitar, but is definitely one of the most famous in the world.    

The "Fender Stratocaster" was developed in 1954 and is a favorite of many musicians including Jimi Hendrix, who had his 1969 Woodstock Strat auctioned off for a record $270,000 in 1990.  It has a maple neck and comfort contoured Alder body that has achieved classic status.   

Below are some examples of the two types of birds that I will be painting clinging to the neck of each guitar.  I have also attached a couple of the idea sketches.  I will post images of the paintings in progress as I go.  Check back to see them as I will be working on them all month.




Gilded Flicker

Gila Woodpecker


Gilded Flicker on Fender
 
Gila Woodpecker on Gibson neck

(My preliminary sketches are above)

Barbara Rudolph

No comments: