Thursday, September 30, 2010

Bird Painting finished "Summers End"



"Summers End"
(Detail of the finished piece)

"Summers End" (Detail)

"Summers End"
48"x 36"

I finally got back into my studio to do some painting and had a lot of fun working on some of the larger pieces that I had started.  The one above "Summers End" is one of those paintings I was inspired to do with the detailed little birds on big canvas.  The mood and color of these paintings are part of what make them work.  I enjoy creating areas of just texture and color to bring about a calming and refreshing feeling.  The open space is very important and is planned to help the viewer feel transported to another place for just a moment in time.  I want you to feel the coolness of the day and express a sense of happiness in the moment.   

While I was painting the under layers of color on the canvas, I added an iridescent powder pigment to the paint to give the open blue area a soft shimmer.  It does not show up well in a photograph like it does in person.  (I think it would be a great painting for a Doctor's office waiting room) because sometimes those waiting rooms can be stressful.  I wish you could see it in person, it is a very "cheerful" painting.   I want people to get a unique sense of happiness when viewing. 

I also want to give credit to a photographer named "Robert Campbell".  This sweet little bird was a picture that he took and allowed me to use in my paintings.  He did a lot of work for Arizona Highways Magazine and has several books published with his amazing photographs.  (See my side bar for more info on "Robert Campbell" and a few of his books.)

Thank you for looking, and remember to ... always use your imagination.

For more information about this piece, please email me at: 
Barbara Rudolph

3 comments:

Gary Keimig said...

great use of space indeed Barbara. Had to be a challenge and I think it works.

Angela said...

Oh! Barbara, no wonder you love painting birds. They are so beautiful. I just simply love them.

virgillaart said...

Your bird paintings are absolutely beautiful! Great works of art.....