Tuesday, July 6, 2010

MIM "Musical Instrument Museum" A Fun Day

"The World's First Global Musical Instrument Museum"



My daughter Emily playing the harp at MIM
This wonderful new museum happens to be near my home.  It opened last spring and I just happen to visit the other day and absolutely loved it.  It is so amazing in fact that I just had to share it with you. 

"The Musical Instrument Museum"  "MIM"  celebrates music.   If you are a music lover, or musician this museum will inspire you.  It is one of the most beautiful places I have seen and the instruments are incredible.  "MIM" collects and displays musical instruments from every country in the world, and you can see and hear the sounds from each as experienced in their cultures of origin.  It is definitely a place to see if you are in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area. 

There is also live performances by internationally renowned artists in the MIM theater.  If you just want to go and see the museum, allow several hours to go through it all.  My daughter, mother and I went over the 4th of July.  We did lose grandma for a while and discovered that she had gone to Europe without us.  We were wandering through Latin America for an hour looking for her, but it was all fun and the music samples were wonderful. 

There is a room at the end of the tour where you can play some of the instruments.  Some are quite unusual.  Here are a few snapshots:






















Visit the MIM website at:
http://www.themim.org/

I can't wait to paint some of the instruments into my "bird series" paintings.
I took a few hundred photographs.
Amazing place!

No comments: