Sunday, May 2, 2010

Bird Watchin - Backyard Birds


I am so happy to see the mother hummingbird back after losing her babies in that terrible landscaping accident.  I am hoping to see her build a new nest up a lot higher up next time. 



She loves my bottle brush tree


Flying High

This little tiny bird (Verdin) also loves the bottle brush tree.  She stays away from my feeders and prefers to just find food  in this tree.  She is not much bigger than the hummingbird and she is almost as fast.  I have yet to capture a really good picture of her, but she sure is fun to watch.  She has a yellow head and a tiny white body.  She is very camera shy.

I purchased some little red buckets to hang in my trees.  I fill them with bird seed to attract the red house finch.  They have become so popular now that I have mockingbirds, woodpeckers, a big crow and her baby, black chinned sparrows, songbirds of all sorts,  a thrasher, a cardinal and way too many mourning doves.   The doves I found are very mean birds and fight with eachother.  The sparrows and finch are very friendly and even feed eachother at the feeders. 

"Hurry and tell everybody....it's the really good seed this time."



2 comments:

Gary Keimig said...

great photos Barbara. I have a bird feeder on my studio window and many keep me company while I fling paint. They make for great reference too.
Hope your hummingbird does take up residence and nesting priveleges again. They are quite the critters to watch. We get Ruby throated and Rufous in our area.

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

I LOVE these photos of birds!! The little red buckets of seed are sweet!! Thanks for sharing.